Title: Forgotten.
Author: Cat Patrick.
Publication Date: June 1st, 2011.
Publisher: Egmont Books.
Format: Paperback, 280 pages.
Source: Bought.
My Rating:



Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-if's in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.


I’d been really excited about starting this novel for quite a while now, and I was not disappointed. Forgotten is a short novel, coming in at just under 300 pages. However, don’t judge it by the length, the story is heart-wrenching and moving, you won’t want to put it down!

London Lane is pretty much like every other girl her age – apart from the fact that at around 4am every morning, her mind resets and her past, and the things she’s done the day before becomes a complete blank. How does she get on with life and go to school you say? Every night before she goes to sleep, she jots down everything that’s happened that day in a journal, for her to read when she wakes. She also gets by with the help of her Mum and best friend, Jamie. During a fire drill one day at school, she meets gorgeous and handsome Luke – the new kid who’s just transferred there. As their relationship grows, everyday London has to remind herself how much she loves and adores him – even though he seems a complete stranger to her every day. Around the time that London meets Luke, her best friend, Jamie starts to go off the rails – starting a relationship with a young, married teacher – she also finds out her mum is lying to her about her past, including her father.

I loved London’s character – she was such a delight to read and really refreshing. I think she has incredible strength to continue on living the way she does. I can’t image the stress it would cause me to have to live with something like she does. Aside from having her mind wiped clean every day, London gets flashes of the future. She’ll know about an argument before it’ll happen and she’ll know what she’s going to wear to school tomorrow. Of course, there may be perks about having this ability, but there are definitely downsides to it as well. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to know my future before it happened. I wouldn’t want to walk the earth knowing when bad things would occur, knowing I was powerless to stop them. Especially if you knew when you were going to die – I think you’d end up being like a walking time-bomb.

Moving onwards to Luke’s character – I loved him. Even through all London’s weirdness, and the fact that she couldn’t remember any of their time together – Luke loved her. I think most guys would probably think she was being rude when; the day after they met, London didn’t have a clue who Luke was. Yet Luke stayed and I thought his character was so sweet. Their relationship was quite predictable at times and sort of like insta-love, however – it wasn’t over done like in a lot of different romance novels – so it didn’t really bug me all too much. I think that Luke is an important character in London’s life, helping her to piece back together her past and change her future.

As for Jamie’s character – I loved her too! She and London had such an amazing friendship. She’d constantly help London fill in the blanks from the previous day and was always there for her. Even during their argument – Jamie can’t help but worry over London and she helps her when she needs it. It must be just as painful to watch someone you care about struggling to piece together previous conversations and possibly losing important information they’ve been told. I feel like Jamie (and London’s mum), are incredible in that aspect and I’m pretty sure London wouldn’t be able to live without them in her life.

I can’t stress enough about how much I loved this book, I read it in two long sittings and only managed to put it down when exhaustion overcame me. The book flowed so smoothly between chapters and there were constant twists and turns – leaving my wondering what would happen next. The reason I gave this book 4/5 stars instead of 5/5 was because I felt the ending was quite rushed – I thought it could have gone into more depth and finished the book slightly differently, but overall this novel was incredible. Cat Patrick is an amazing writer and I wait to read her other books.


Quotes


Page Thomas, looking like she just got out of bed, approaches from the opposite direction and waves at me with what I consider to be a little too much enthusiasm. For a beat, I have no idea why she's so happy to see me. I shift my bag to my left arm so that I can cordially wave back as we pass. Then I remember. Soon she will corner me and ask me to set her up with Brad, from math. Ugh. Who am I, Cupid? - Page 22.

For a few seconds, we are quiet. Every muscle in my body is tense, in a good way; it's excruciatingly intimate. I'm lying in my bed, clutching the phone like a lifeline, hearing nothing but Luke's measured inhale and exhale, and my own quickening heartbeat.
If he were here right now, I'd kiss him. - Page 126.

'Does it ever get easier?' I ask my mom, before I open the door to the Prius. We are sitting in the drop-off area at school. My eyes are red and puffy.
'I don't know, London,' my mom says softly, placing a hand on mine. 'For me, time lessens the pain. I don't know how It'll be for you. It's new to you every day.' My mother looks tormented as she says this. I don't answer. - Page 216.



0 comments:

Post a Comment