Title: Thirty-Two Going On Spinster.
Author: Becky Monson.
Publication Date: December 12th, 2012.
Publisher: Create Space.
Format: Paperback, 348 pages.
Source: Provided By Author.
My Rating:



Julia Dorning is a spinster, or at least on the road to becoming one. She has no social life, hates her job, and lives in her parent’s basement with her cat, Charlie.

With the arrival of Jared Moody, the new hire at work, Julia’s mundane life is suddenly turned upside down. Her instant (and totally ridiculous) crush on the new guy causes Julia to finally make some long-overdue changes, in hopes to find a life that includes more than baking and hanging out with Charlie.

But when the biggest and most unexpected change comes, will the new and improved Julia be able to overcome it? Or will she go back to her spinster ways?


I was e-mailed by Becky Monson asking whether I’d like a copy of her novel for review – at first, I was sure I was going to say no. The typical genres I read are usually young-adult and new adult fiction, and I’ve always had this block against adult books in general, mainly because I just don’t find them interesting at all. I also find that my concentration just wavers and I feel like I’d rather be reading anything but an adult book. However, when I read the synopsis, I decided it was really time for me to broaden my horizons with my reading and start reading more adult literature. I was really pleasantly surprised about how much I loved reading this book, I loved how; when I was reading Thirty-Two Going On Spinster, I seemed to forget that it was an adult book I was reading. Even though I was apprehensive about starting this novel, I’m glad to say my worries were not warranted and I thoroughly enjoyed it!


Julie Dorning is our main protagonist and she’s recently come to the conclusion that she is, in fact, a spinster. I loved Julia’s character; she was really funny, witty and interesting to read about. Although she is actually thirty-two, it definitely didn’t feel like I was reading about a woman her age. She seemed more like a 20 year old, and I really loved this – especially as I have a hard time relating to characters over the age of about 26. The one thing that annoyed me about Julia’s character though, was her repetitiveness – she was constantly whining about the same things, and this really annoyed me. If you don’t like something, you should try and change it – thankfully though, Julia did get her butt in gear and start to change her life. I loved her determination to be something better than her current self.

Jared Moody is the main love interest throughout Thirty-Two Going On Spinster, and to be honest – I had mixed feelings about him. When he was first introduced to the book, I didn’t like him at all; he seemed way too cocky and kind of rude – especially with all the smirking he does. However, as the book progresses, you learn that it’s a playful smirk, and definitely not a ‘I’m so much better than you, plus I stole your job’ smirk. Once you got to know his character, he seemed really sweet and fun to be around. I also loved how Jared’s and Julia’s relationship grew gradually, and there was definitely no sign of insta-love, thank god! I also found myself giggling along with Julia when it came to talking about Jared, it did just seem like we were both a couple of teenagers chatting about her first crush.

One other thing that really did irritate me was the continual use of the word ‘Yah’. For one, it’s not a word! Secondly, who says that? No one I know, or anyone else I’ve met uses it. (Unless maybe you’re from Texas? Even so...) It wouldn’t have been that difficult to actually put ‘Yeah’, it’s one letter more! Not only was Julia constantly saying it, but the rest of the characters, too – meaning it wasn’t just a word that the main character used. I’m not getting at the author, everyone has their own style of writing, but these reviews are supposed to be my own, honest opinion. With me, you get the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Sorry if this offends you – but I just wish that it wasn’t there.

Overall though, I thought this book was really great! It was funny, interesting and I really enjoyed reading it. Becky Monson’s writing is lovely, and her characters fantastic and really relatable to. Because of how much I enjoyed reading this novel, I may actually try to read more chick-lit in the future – which is something I’ve been refusing to do for years! There were a few little things that bugged me about the novel, which I’ve mentioned – these are the reasons it didn’t get the 5/5 star rating I hoped to give it. However, I do think that Thirty-Two Going On Spinster well and truly deserved the 4 star rating I gave it, and I can’t wait to read more from Becky in the future. She’s definitely an author to keep an eye on!


Quotes
I stand close by the door to make sure I don’t hear words like “fire” or “terminate” or “crazy stapler lady”. But I can only catch tidbits of their conversation. I can hear Mr. Calhoun say “in accounting” and something like “no need to worry” and I swear he says “has great cupcakes”. I never knew him to be such a perv. Wait, he probably said “makes great cupcakes”. That would make much more sense. Mr. Calhoun is a huge fan of my homemade cupcakes. Leave it to cupcakes to save my job. - Page 29.

What the... What is that?????
Oh my gosh, please no. Please noooooooooo!!!
There’s a scab. There’s a scab on my upper lip. I totally forgot about the moustache waxing debacle from last night! This is not happening. Please say this is not happening.
It’s not a small scab, either. It’s a long, thin, brownish scab above my upper lip.
I look... like... Hitler. - Page 71.

“I wouldn’t want to leave here, though. I mean look at all this space,” I motion to the room with hand. “You’ve got a huge desk, nice big windows... I would stay here as long as I could.”
He smiles at me and swivels his chair towards me. “Yes, and you never know who I might find under this table.” He taps his fingers on the conference room table and gives me his best smirk.
“Yes, you never know who,” I say, trying to act cool and praying I don’t blush. Ugh, too late. - Page 206.


0 comments:

Post a Comment